Thursday, October 9, 2008

Charlaine Harris: Southern Vampire Mysteries

Over the past two weeks I have read the first five (well, ok, four only because I can't find the second book anywhere for sale other than on Amazon) of Charlaine Harris' Southern Vampire Mysteries(Dead Until Dark, Living Dead in Dallas, Club Dead, Dead to the World, Dead As A Doornail).  I stopped and picked up Definitely Dead and All Together Dead, books 6 and 7, from Borders today while at lunch.  The 8th book, From Dead to Worse, is currently out in hardback.  I may pick that one up after I finish the 7th book, but I would like to wait for its release in paperback before I get it.  I have devoured these books lately.  Mostly reading them in one sitting.  They are not that long; 350 to 400 pages for most of them.

These books are the basis for the new HBO Series True Blood.  Which is how I happened upon the series in the first place.  The show is taking each book as a season.  They have expanded a couple of characters and made a few minor changes, but overall has stayed very close to the original story.

The premise of the story is about a telepathic waitress who gets mixed up in the world of vampires and other supernatural beings set in a time when the release of a newly developed synthetic blood has opened the doors for vampires to "come out of the coffin". 

I would highly recommend these books if you are a fan of supernatural mysteries.  A couple of the books are quite predictable in the outcome, but the first couple books had me riveted.

No comments: